Family Law

Family Solicitors Swindon

If you require urgent advice on any of the following:

  • Seeking the return of a child.
  • Seeking to freeze family assets as you are fearful that your spouse/partner will dispose of the assets without your agreement and knowledge.
  • An urgent application for a court order as a result of you having suffered domestic violence.

Our office is available to deal with emergency applications and provide advice according to your needs. Please contact us by email at or telephone us on 01793 642100.

HillmanPooley specialise in providing our clients with high quality legal advice. Our long forged professional links grant us access to the country’s finest QCs and barristers.

Family Law Services

We provide a broad range of family law services, including:

  • Divorce
  • Financial Settlements
  • Children Arrangements
  • Civil Partnerships
  • Cohabitation
  • Separation
  • Pre-nuptial Agreements
  • Domestic Violence – (only on a private client basis, we regret that we are unable to offer Legal Aid)
  • Mediation & Collaborative Law
All of our family law services can be provided in Chinese – please contact Family Solicitor Brenda Wong Robinson to request.

The Family Law Team

Brenda Wong Robinson, Family Solicitor

Gemma Clark, Family Paralegal

Frequently Asked Questions

How is property divided in a divorce settlement?

It is a generally held misconception that in a divorce settlement property is divided roughly half and half between the two parties. However, where there is no agreement the court must consider many factors relating to the circumstances and needs of the two parties and of any children. Therefore, in order to gauge how these factors will affect your particular circumstances, you will be very likely to need legal advice.

Financially, how are co-habitants viewed by the law?

The law does not regard co-habitation as equivalent to marriage. Rather, the couple are seen as two people who have entered into a contract or agreement- express or implied. In order to clarify the wishes of each party, a written agreement is advisable to record the situation and the intentions of the parties. The absence of such a prior agreement is likely to cause difficulty and advice will certainly be needed should the parties separate.

What is the significance of a pre-nuptial agreement in the event of a divorce?

The law in England and Wales (unlike that of many countries and American states) does not make a pre-nuptial agreement legally binding. However, when divorcing parties have had a prenuptial agreement, the court is able to take it into account. Now that pre-nuptial agreements are becoming more popular in society the government may legislate to change their status.

What laws apply to civil partners?

A Civil Partnership ceremony is similar to a marriage. It enables gay (same sex) couples to register their relationship. In the event of a breakdown of this relationship, the law will treat the parties very similarly to a heterosexual couple in similar circumstances.

What is the difference between private and public law regarding children?

Public law relates to cases in which the government takes legal action to protect children from abusive or neglectful domestic circumstances. Private law deals with disputes between parents (and other permitted individuals) in relation to where the children will live and with whom they will spend time, parental responsibility, prohibited steps and specific issue orders.

What leads to a legally binding agreement following separation?

In family law there are three ways by which a settlement can be fixed: litigation, mediation, and collaborative law. Litigation is usually costly and may involve both parties appearing in Court; it can be emotionally draining. It should be seen as a last resort for use only when couples cannot reach an agreement having tried all other options.

Mediation requires that the parties together see a trained mediator who will help them to settle their differences. Mrs Wong Robinson is a Resolution trained mediator, and should mediation fail the parties will need a certificate from Mrs Wong Robinson before court proceedings can commence.

Collaborative family law is a new means for helping separating couples by working with a team of professionals trained to resolve differences. The parties (accompanied by their lawyers) meet to discuss the problems. Should collaboration succeed, differences will be resolved without going to Court. This method is advantageous as it can provide swift settlement and avoid the undue stress and cost of contested Court proceedings.

What is the meaning of a non-molestation order and an occupation order in domestic violence cases?

A non-molestation order prohibits the use of violence, intimidation or harassment. An occupation order excludes or restricts one party from the family home, in the interest of protecting the remaining party and relevant children.

Can I pay for legal services when I can afford to do so?

Yes, HillmanPooley offers a ‘pay as you go’ service in Family proceedings (for existing clients only). Please contact us to discuss your requirements.

How do I book an appointment?

You can book an appointment by either calling or emailing. See our ‘contact us’ page for details.

What do I need to bring to my initial appointment?

All clients will need to provide:

Photo ID (e.g. passport, photographic driving licence) and confirmation of address (e.g. recent utility bill, bank statement etc).


Just a short note to thank you so much for all your work in giving me the right answers to my problems. I have been so worried and now feel safe in my home. If I ever need any more help I will certainly be in touch.

Thank-you for all you have done for me. You gave me hope and gently guided me in the right direction. I really appreciate how you have helped me to renew myself and my relationship with the family. You have brought me much joy.

I would like to thank you all for your support and hard work this past year. Feeling a lot less stressed now and the children and I are happily moving forward.

Your service in general was, and is, excellent. And I would like to thank Brenda for her excellent support, service, advice and skills.

I just wanted to say a massive thank-you for everything you have done for me.

Further information

Family Law – Dispute Resolution or Litigation – Choose the Right Option

Marriage/Divorce/Civil Partnership/Dissolution in later life/silver years (PDF)

Financial Remedy Orders (PDF)

About The Children Act 1989 (PDF)

About Pre-nuptial Agreements (PDF)

Mediation Leaflet (PDF)


If you would like to speak to our team about your circumstances, please fill in your details and we will get back to you.